DELIVERING DELECTABLE DISHES DAY & NIGHT!

My immediate family has dealt with lactose intolerance, IBS, auto immune disorders and fatal cancer. From Fall '09-Summer 2010 I went from running 1/2 marathons to not being able to get out of bed, plagued with intense headaches, exhaustion and more. With my family history and my own immune system comprimised I was motivated to take a bit of a journey to better health. Slowly I've made considerable changes, (I'm not always 100% vigilant), but I know these changes have helped me return to better health...FOOD CHANGES: I cut out gluten, cut out most dairy, cut down on the "white stuff"-sugar, white rice & flour, decreased the amount of processed foods consumed, drink green smoothies regularly, eliminated red meat and eat more vegetarian and vegan dishes...just to name a few!

I use gluten free (GF) pasta and either a whole grain blend by Nalani Brown or a mix from Kathy Taylor for most bread, cake and cookie recipes-they are awesome! (If you like Kathy's mix, email me to order her cookbook at ishagirlclub@gmail.com.)

GF mix can be substituted straight across for regular flour if you aren't cooking gluten free!

Hope you enjoy!

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Oat Flour Pancakes

1 cup quick oats
1 cup oat flour (or whole wheat)
1 cup gluten free flour blend (or regular white)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup brown sugar (may substitute part white)

2 eggs (may use "flax eggs"**)
1/4 cup vegetable oil (can be coconut oil)
2 cups soured almond milk (can be buttermilk)
1/2 tsp vanilla

(Adapted slightly from Christina Allen, Avon)

 FLAX EGGS
  • 1 Tbsp (7 g) flaxseed meal (ground raw flaxseed)
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp (37 ml) water
Instructions
  1. Add flaxseed meal and water to a dish and stir. Let rest for 5 minutes to thicken. Add to recipes in place of 1 egg.
  2. It's not an exact 1:1 substitution in every recipe because it doesn't bind and stiffen during baking quite like an egg does. But I've found it to work incredibly well in pancakes, quick breads, brownies, muffins, cookies, and many other recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment