DELIVERING DELECTABLE DISHES DAY & NIGHT!

My immediate family has dealt with lactose intolerance, IBS, auto immune disorders and fatal cancer. From Fall '09-Summer 2010 I went from running 1/2 marathons to not being able to get out of bed, plagued with intense headaches, exhaustion and more. With my family history and my own immune system comprimised I was motivated to take a bit of a journey to better health. Slowly I've made considerable changes, (I'm not always 100% vigilant), but I know these changes have helped me return to better health...FOOD CHANGES: I cut out gluten, cut out most dairy, cut down on the "white stuff"-sugar, white rice & flour, decreased the amount of processed foods consumed, drink green smoothies regularly, eliminated red meat and eat more vegetarian and vegan dishes...just to name a few!

I use gluten free (GF) pasta and either a whole grain blend by Nalani Brown or a mix from Kathy Taylor for most bread, cake and cookie recipes-they are awesome! (If you like Kathy's mix, email me to order her cookbook at ishagirlclub@gmail.com.)

GF mix can be substituted straight across for regular flour if you aren't cooking gluten free!

Hope you enjoy!

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Gingerbread Cookies



1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 1/2 tsp. white vinegar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. salt

Combine butter, sugar, molasses, and vinegar in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil, then cool completely.  When fully cool, beat egg into mixture (don't do this while it's warm, or you'll get scrambled eggs!)

In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients.  Mix molasses mixture into dry ingredients.  Chill, covered, in refrigerator.  When dough is chilled, roll out and cut with cookie cutters, or scoop into balls.  (Or, you can scoop the unchilled dough onto cookie sheets in balls, freeze, then transfer the balls to a gallon freezer bag for baking later.)  Bake in a 375 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes on a greased cookie sheet.

If baking previously frozen dough balls, do not thaw before cooking.  Just place the frozen dough on the pan and cook like usual, same temperature and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment